Loading Dock Manager/New York
The Loading Dock Manager for Spring Studios is a pillar of daily building operations; tasked with overseeing the loading dock team which handles the coordination of the daily operations of the loading dock, supervision of truck & freight traffic and organization of packages arriving and leaving the building. He/She must maintain a high level of organization to complete daily tasks and keep loading dock activity on schedule with efficiency and clarity. The Loading Dock Manager must be a versatile and well-rounded jack of all trades with the range of expertise to act as a community facing member of Spring as well as a proactive and assertive supervisor of a team that handles high volume activity. Providing operational support for Spring staff, clients, and members this role communicates across departments to manage street activity, the loading dock, packages, and the freight elevators. The Loading Dock Manager must have the ability to multitask, delegate, and cooperate with other departments, vendors and clients in fast-paced, high-pressure situations always providing a high level of customer service.
The Loading Dock Manager is responsible for, but not limited to, the below:
- Act as Team Leader including being responsible for team building, training, and performance reviews
- Understanding loading dock coverage needs and scheduling staff in packaging and loading dock for both Spring Studios and Spring Place activity
- Responsible for supervision, communication and coordination of all loading dock activities
- Handle sanitation coordination and scheduling with 3rd party waste management vendor
- Staff freelancers and supervise their activities including staff assigned to the freight elevators
- Monitor cleanliness of loading dock, bays, and streets outside of loading docks informing janitorial staff of issues that need attention.
- Work as an independent operator by analyzing problems, identifying courses of action, and implementing solutions with available resources to a high degree of quality.
- Keep Venue Producers apprised of all dock activities during Events.
- Maintain an accurate real-time understanding of all freight and loading dock activities
- Ensure loading dock, St. johns lane and York street traffic flow including reporting street/dock blockages to Venue Producer and Security utilizing knowledge of traffic laws, rules of the road, and permit restrictions
- Execute Spring Studios client load-in/out schedules including directing dock traffic and overseeing freight elevator traffic
- Receive, log and store Spring Studios and Spring Place internal packages and packages for Spring Studios and Spring Place clients/members, emailing appropriate parties for pickup including following up as necessary
- Maintain accurate log of packages
- Schedule Spring Studios and Spring Place deliveries and pick-ups as directed
- Report incidents to appropriate parties, ie Facilities Manager, Security and Coordinator on Duty
- Stay in constant communication with all pertinent departments to ensure all deliveries are received or sent out in a timely and organized fashion.
- Maintain a thorough log of each day’s activities and problems that occur and to ensure this information is passed on to other shifts.
- Maintain loading dock area in a neat and efficient manner during periods of high traffic, informing janitorial department of needs to keep area clean and well organized.
- Maintain communications with Client Service Manager to ensure client experience is maximized.
- Report to work on time and in full uniform.
- Assist Client Service Manager and Venue Producers (when applicable on larger events) in smooth operation of dock with internal communication, calling out issues before they become problems.
- Direct individuals to the appropriate entrance.
- File invoices and storage logs
- Set an example of continuous self-development and improvement.
- Previous management experience
- Highly organized and proactive.
- Ability to learn new tasks.
- Prior experience with shipping and logistics
- Ability to carry out specific oral and written instructions.
- Communicate with different types of people to comprehend what they want and to provide them with information.
- Ability to carry out Studio’s standards, policies and procedures with assigned staff.
- Ability to prioritize and organize deliveries and couriers.
- Ability to be a clear thinker in pressure situations and exercise good judgment.
- Ability to focus attention on details, speed and accuracy.
- Ability to move 50 pound items
- Experience with Google docs, Microsoft outlook, and Microsoft word
- Familiarity with common hand signals for guiding trucks into spots, truck sizing and how they fit in each bay space
Experience – Required
5+ years’ experience in a relevant role